Sunday, December 15, 2013

Learning from the Little Drummer Boy


Hope you are having a wonderful holiday season! For this week's blog I will share the talk a gave today for the ward Christmas sacrament meeting program:

 I am grateful today to be able to share with you my humble testimony of the  Savior of the world. The One who has borne our grief and carried our sorrows even when he was stricken and despised. The One who was wounded for our transgressions and bruised for our iniquities. The very Son of God that suffered grave chastisement so that we can have peace in this troublesome world.

As I have been thinking of what message I can share today my heart was drawn to a classic Christmas story that most if us probably know called the Little Drummer Boy. I think my thoughts were drawn towards this tale because of the special message it can teach us all. I pray the spirit can lift each of us as I speak today.

In the beginning of the story of the little drummer boy we hear the inviting words, "Come they told me. A new born king to see." To me this represents the simple yet powerful invitation The Lord has given us all to come unto Christ. 

As the little drummer boy starts his journey to see the Savior he notices something that could have possibly brought some discouragement to his little heart. 
He realizes that everyone around him is bringing great gifts to lay before The Lord. He begins to think inside himself, "I have no gift to bring, that's fit to give the king." 

We may sometimes ask ourself similar questions such as, "How can I in my imperfections and weaknesses ever give something useful to my savior? I see those around me who seem to be carrying overflowing armfuls of precious gifts. What gift could I offer The Lord?" 

We see that Despite the discouragement the little drummer boy may have been experiencing at that time, he pressed on. He gave The Lord the only gift he had to give. He pulled out his drum and played. And in the story the little drummer boy proclaims, "I played my best for him." 
 To me, the drum in this tale represents love. The little drummer boy not only gave a gift of love to The Lord, but he loved The Lord to the best of his ability. So what can we learn from this? The truth is that dispite our imperfections and weaknesses, whatever they may be, we all have a very precious gift to give to The Savior. 
Love is the most precious gift we can give. As we keep the commandments, cling tightly to the iron rod and help others do the same, we are showing our love to Him who has given us everything. 

Let us strive to be more like the little drummer boy and all throughout our journey on our way to see The Lord let is play our loving drums with humility and gratitude. Let us Feast upon the words of Christ, always abound in good works, repent and be cleansed from sin, And most importantly, never give up.  For when we love The Lord we are stronger and more powerful than we can imagine. The Lord has promised that "all things work together for good to them that love God."

I testify that that little baby of Bethlehem grew up and saved the world. He came to us to let us know that it is ok to be broken because He can make us perfect if we will just love Him with all we have.  
For as Moroni says, "if we love god with all or might mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for us so that by his grace we may be be perfect in Christ."
I bare personal testimony that as we offer our own gift of sincere love to The Lord, His atoning power binds up our wounds, enlightens our troubled minds, and heals our brokenness. 
As the scriptures say:
 Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Of this I testify, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.




1 comment:

  1. The Little Drummer Boy has never ever been even close to one of my favorite Christmas songs. Thank you for this, because I don't think I will ever be able to hear it the same again. It's nice to know that no matter how small, big, or even how many gifts we strive to give the Savior and our loving Heavenly Father, they accept every one with open arms and love for us and our efforts. Every single effort.

    ReplyDelete